ENL101 7B (July 2008)
This is my English Composition I (ENL101) class. We make up Section 7B, one very united class. We took these group photos on Wednesday after our Calculus test. Two of the above pictures were put into the scrapbook which we prepared for Dr Lim, our ENL101 lecturer. Aren't we so natural at posing as happy college kids? Haha!
Today was our last day of ENL101 class before Dr Lim goes off to Barcelona for three weeks. When he comes back, we will already be in the midst of our final exams. He will not be teaching full-time anymore after this semester, and we felt that it was only right to show him our gratitude as he has done so much for us.
We brainstormed, shared our ideas, executed our plans, and managed to pull off quite a nice farewell for Dr Lim. I rushed to meet up with the other 13 of my classmates in front of A2 where 10 of them had Computer Science class from 2 to 4 pm. After I arrived, we quickly added in the 5 remaining messages into the scrapbook and Karyn helped me to tie the papers together. We were in such a rush that I didn't have the time to take a picture of the finished product. I was very, very happy with the scrapbook. The idea just popped into my mind after our class before the Raya break. I ran the idea through a few of my classmates and they agreed to compile individual messages into a nice scrapbook for Dr Lim. Karyn and I managed to complete the front and back covers last night. I completed my own masterpiece in about 2 hours! I drafted my message first (it came up to more than one page long.. hehe.. so much for being concise), and then I began outlining the shapes that I wanted. I used a pink paper as my background on top of which I stuck strips of paper of a few colors - light yellow, light orange and a dark beige. I added some finishing touches of gold ink on top of black paper too. I didn't even mind the fact that I spent 2 hours on all that! :)
We all wore our custom-made shirts to class. We lined up accordingly in front of A2 to spell out I LOVE LIM HO PENG. By the time we made our way to class, the clock already showed 4.07 pm. Almost no one is ever late to ENL101 class. On our way up to B4, I caught sight of Dr Lim talking on a public phone on B3. I never even noticed the public phone there! We couldn't help but break into gales of loud laughter and almost got our plan foiled on the spot. All 14 of us quickly rushed up the stairs, trying very hard to catch our breaths. It was very easy to spot us because we were all wearing black! How hard can it be to miss a bunch of 14 kids wearing all black? :p
Dr Lim strolled into class looking a bit amused at our antics. He mentioned how he had wanted to wear black today, but changed his mind and wore blue instead. Haha! We sat in a random arrangement so that he could not guess the words which we were forming. He told us to sit in two rows facing each other. After that, he proceeded to talk about our group projects and our performance in class. Right after that, he opened the floor to all of us to speak. We all talked about what we thought of the class. It was obvious that all of us really enjoyed our ENL101 lessons and that we appreciated our unity. After the interactive session which got us laughing a lot, he gave me and Francis a book each for topping the class. How sweet! :)
After that, we went out to take group photos. Dr Lim was really cool! He brought his own camera and even took some candid shots of all of us while we were busy checking out the photos in the three other cameras which were brought to class for this special occasion.
Here is the star of the day:
Our awesome English professor :)
Let me introduce to you my ENL101 7B classmates!
Michelle from Bintulu
Tze Liang, very quiet and nice guy
Karyn, the food addict
Jyo Lyn, the girl who laughs a lot in class
Jit Choon, the funny guy who gave away our scrapbook surprise.. :p
Wui Yarn, the quiet girl in class
Mern Jie, a quiet guy who looks like a kid when he laughs :D
The boys of ENL101 7B - GLLOOVEEN!After our photo-taking session outside, we went back inside and sang Auld Lang Syne for Dr Lim. He seemed pretty touched when we started singing in front of the class and he even joined in to sing! We handed him a gift we got for him, a custom-made white shirt. He hugged each one of us and wished us all the best. It was a touching moment to walk up to our professor and hug him because he is such a great lecturer who never failed to help us along the way no matter how many silly mistakes we made. He inspired all of us to work towards excellence by relating his own personal experiences to us. :)

Sitting in Dr Lim's class for the first two weeks might have been quite terrifying, but over time, we got to know him better and we realized that he is actually a very caring person. Our friends used to laugh at us for having 3-hour classes while they had 2-hour classes (the 3 hours were to make up for the lessons which are supposed to be on from next week up to 24 October). They also used to poke fun at us for all the work that we had to do in ENL101. From the very first day of ENL101 on 8 July 2008 up to today, we have done 18 Journal Writings, 24 In-Class Assignments (including pair works), and 21 Take-Home Assignments.
The work may have been a lot but they have also helped us tremendously. We learnt a whole lot from Dr Lim. He didn't just teach us the English language. He also taught us many life lessons which I'm sure we will remember for years to come. It is safe to say that all of us feel a deep sense of attachment to this class thanks to Dr Lim's attitude and care towards us. Through him, we bonded so well with each other.
No matter what other people say about us being in his class, there's only one thing that we want our professor to remember:

:)
*This post will be updated with more photos once I get them.











Aik Jun, the class clown with priceless questions

No comments:
Post a Comment