Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Welcome to the jungle


So today is another day when I experience that familiar post-test feeling (yes, we just had a test when our final exams are starting in three days - WHEE). Receiving less than stellar results just before that isn’t exactly a perk too, but I’m moving on. As always.

Today, the King of Roaches decided to pull a prank on me by sending one of its (rather fat) minions to invade my room. AHHHHHHHHH!! If you don’t already know, I LOATHE COCKROACHES. I don’t dare to go near them even because the mere thought of coming in even the slightest contact with them sends me into frenzy. So when Poh Yee told me that a big cockroach flew out of our wastepaper basket this morning and went beneath my bed, I almost lost my wits. Armed with a can of Ridsect, I watched, numb with fear, as she slowly extracted my two boxes and one paper bag from beneath my bed and kicked them around a bit to see if anything would fly out. I was on the edge, not really knowing what to do. It’s quite amazing what even the knowledge of a cockroach being in my vicinity can do to me.

She eventually found it in her shoe box and threw the box out of our room. She screamed. I screamed. A moment of silence ensued, and then I said, “SPRAY IT! SPRAY IT! AHHHHHHHHH!” And then some more screaming and many sprays later, the big, ugly, dirty creature had scurried a few doors away and started turning round and round like it was drunk. After a few spins, it collapsed onto its back and started thrashing around. UGHHHHHH.

“Is it dead? Is it dead?”

“No, it’s still kicking. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.”

“I think I should give it one last hit.”

“Nah.. It’ll die sooner or later.”

We went back into the room and rearranged our things. A moment later, Poh Yee said, “I still think I should give it one last hit! What if it doesn’t die and run off somewhere?!”

*cricket sounds* Alarms rang in my head. “Nola.. It would die.” I sounded way more convincing than I really felt.

ISH. I hate how cockroaches make me feel! They scare the wits out of me and make me wanna dash like I never did in PE lessons. And THAT is saying a lot. Eh, and did I mention that the block is now invaded by a new kind of insect? They look like big mosquitoes, but they have light brown bodies and they fly really fast. And they put me off to the point that I’d rather walk to the other bathroom than use the stalls on my side of the block! :/

Disgusting encounters with bugs aside, things have been a little bumpy in this mini jungle. Stress levels have gone up considerably and emotions have been on the high. These are the common signs on the approaching final exams. I’ve been going in and out of the library every day this week. I know, I’m turning into library furniture. Sometimes I go there to get some serious work done. At other times, I get a big table all to myself and proceed to “read” my notes and doze off a bit. The environment is very conducive for sleep, really. And the sight of other people passing out on the library tables doesn’t help too, you know!

The population of students in the library has grown quite a bit in this week which makes it a bit harder for me to sleep because YOU KNOW THAT GUILT THAT SNEAKS IN WHEN YOU SEE SOMEONE PORING OVER SOME CALCULUS BOOK WHILE YOU FEEL LIKE PASSING OUT BUT KNOW THAT YOUR CALCULUS FINAL EXAM IS COMING IN A WEEK? YES, THAT FEELING SUCKS.

Meh. Speaking of which, I have a lot of mugging lined up for tonight, tomorrow, the next day, the day after... all the way till this phase ends. (I really think that I mug a lot more here than when I was in SA – and that is just ironic because people think I’m having a blast here, being free from CAs, BTs, CCAs, TAF, PE lessons, etc. Rest assured we’re pretty much in the same boat of work and stress, though, yeah?)

No comments: