I don't believe in there being not a single secret between any two persons. This doesn't imply that I do not trust people, because I do, but not just in the blink of an eye. We all harbor secrets, things that we don't want anyone - not even the closest of those around us - to know. We keep them to ourselves because we are afraid of the consequences that follow if we reveal them to others. The skeletons lurking in the closet may be small and relatively harmless, or they may be big and scary, so dark that we just chuck them to the darkest recesses of our minds, willing ourselves to ignore, and eventually, maybe forget. But secrets aren't that easy to forget.
Having been a sounding board and confidant to people I didn't expect to come to me, I can say that I've heard things I never thought I would. But what else can you do when a friend calls you up, sobbing her heart out, instead of comforting her and listening to her? What else can you do when someone looks into your eyes and say 'keep this between us' except keep mum? Sometimes, the urge to tell is so great because of circumstances. But, at the same time, is it worth risking the relationship? Maybe, maybe not. Because some secrets... well, maybe they aren't meant to be secrets. I dunno.
Here's a personal pet peeve that I have to get off my chest. To whoever I have not met or talked to for a while (meaning months or years), instead of grilling me for my grades so that you can compare our academic standings, I think I've got better things to do than pull out my grade report for you. Seriously, give me a break. Just because you think I'm a goody two shoes does not mean that I don't read chick lit (and actually enjoy it! Yeah, complete with all the drama and scandals!), wear eyeliner and lipstick (you think I think that make-up degrades women? NO), have a fondness for earrings and necklaces (since when are "bookworms" not allowed to accessorize?), enjoy tv dramas that sometimes make no sense, and just loaf around. Really, I didn't know that being studious always has to mean that one has no life. And yes, my fingernails are bloody red in color, and I like them that way. What? I actually spend my time painting fingernails instead of mugging? If you can see me right now, you can bet I'm doing the eye roll that I've been perfecting over the years.
Sometimes I really, really hate stereotypes.
Having been a sounding board and confidant to people I didn't expect to come to me, I can say that I've heard things I never thought I would. But what else can you do when a friend calls you up, sobbing her heart out, instead of comforting her and listening to her? What else can you do when someone looks into your eyes and say 'keep this between us' except keep mum? Sometimes, the urge to tell is so great because of circumstances. But, at the same time, is it worth risking the relationship? Maybe, maybe not. Because some secrets... well, maybe they aren't meant to be secrets. I dunno.
Here's a personal pet peeve that I have to get off my chest. To whoever I have not met or talked to for a while (meaning months or years), instead of grilling me for my grades so that you can compare our academic standings, I think I've got better things to do than pull out my grade report for you. Seriously, give me a break. Just because you think I'm a goody two shoes does not mean that I don't read chick lit (and actually enjoy it! Yeah, complete with all the drama and scandals!), wear eyeliner and lipstick (you think I think that make-up degrades women? NO), have a fondness for earrings and necklaces (since when are "bookworms" not allowed to accessorize?), enjoy tv dramas that sometimes make no sense, and just loaf around. Really, I didn't know that being studious always has to mean that one has no life. And yes, my fingernails are bloody red in color, and I like them that way. What? I actually spend my time painting fingernails instead of mugging? If you can see me right now, you can bet I'm doing the eye roll that I've been perfecting over the years.
Sometimes I really, really hate stereotypes.
No comments:
Post a Comment