Today's my free day and so far it's been spent flipping through notes and creating a lot of eraser dust on the desk. My room isn't exactly the best place for me to mug right now because one of the florescent tubes decided to go nuts last night. Now the light flickers at an alarming rate that pains my eyes and distracts me, so we have to turn off the lights. Right now, natural lighting isn't doing much except help me see clearly things which are on my desk.
It's still a little dim, though, so I'd much rather crash someone else's room to study, like I did this morning. And, of course, it doesn't hurt to get some snacks while doing so. :D I do hope that the maintenance crew will come and fix the light tube by this evening because if they don't, I'd have to resort to crashing another room again or maybe moving to the pantry to study (which I don't quite like to do these days because the amount of lizard and insect poop there just grosses me out).
My organizer is filled with deadlines and test dates. Sometimes, I refrain from flipping it open just so that I won't have to see all the dates and experience a rush of panic, but instead focus on my shorter to-do list for the day. I've given up on writing out post-its with lists that I know I cannot completely strike off at the end of the day. Having a lot of work really calls for some prioritizing.
There hasn't been much else going on besides tackling my school work and putting some time into our trip discussions. It suffices to say that emotions have been fluctuating and time has been running. Like Wei Yiing said, it's kind of ironic how towards the end of our first semester here, we stayed up til 3 am to chat and play, but in our last semester here, we stay up til 3 am to finish up our work. What's even more odd is that we're taking fewer subjects this semester. Guess that's what we get for landing ourselves in heavier courses in terms of workload.
Oh, and did I mention that I have to work on an outline for my upcoming persuasive speech? (Oh, by the way, debate was fun! A bit too short, but fun nonetheless!) I picked euthanasia as my topic and while reading the materials I'd collected (I went the ol' skool way - books - I got tired of scouring the Net), I wondered, why did I have to pick such a depressing topic? Well, my first choice was the death penalty - equally dark, isn't it? I chalk it up to the books I've been reading lately (although I didn't finish even half of the last fiction book I got from the library). Reading both sides of the euthanasia debate is not just taxing on the brains because of all the weighing and evaluating, but also quite saddening because some people can objectify life and death so easily as if they mean so little in comparison to the other, littler things that we experience.
Just a couple of days ago we were discussing fallacies in class. It reminded me of GP and its endless readings and spotting of fallacies. Now I have to apply the same things I used in my essays to craft a great persuasive speech. Writing an essay and a speech require the same skills, but putting a voice to the words changes the words a lot, I've learned.
Sometimes I feel a lot like a liberal arts student. If I do end up in the LSA, should I dabble in some literature or some arts? Hmmmm.
It's still a little dim, though, so I'd much rather crash someone else's room to study, like I did this morning. And, of course, it doesn't hurt to get some snacks while doing so. :D I do hope that the maintenance crew will come and fix the light tube by this evening because if they don't, I'd have to resort to crashing another room again or maybe moving to the pantry to study (which I don't quite like to do these days because the amount of lizard and insect poop there just grosses me out).
My organizer is filled with deadlines and test dates. Sometimes, I refrain from flipping it open just so that I won't have to see all the dates and experience a rush of panic, but instead focus on my shorter to-do list for the day. I've given up on writing out post-its with lists that I know I cannot completely strike off at the end of the day. Having a lot of work really calls for some prioritizing.
There hasn't been much else going on besides tackling my school work and putting some time into our trip discussions. It suffices to say that emotions have been fluctuating and time has been running. Like Wei Yiing said, it's kind of ironic how towards the end of our first semester here, we stayed up til 3 am to chat and play, but in our last semester here, we stay up til 3 am to finish up our work. What's even more odd is that we're taking fewer subjects this semester. Guess that's what we get for landing ourselves in heavier courses in terms of workload.
Oh, and did I mention that I have to work on an outline for my upcoming persuasive speech? (Oh, by the way, debate was fun! A bit too short, but fun nonetheless!) I picked euthanasia as my topic and while reading the materials I'd collected (I went the ol' skool way - books - I got tired of scouring the Net), I wondered, why did I have to pick such a depressing topic? Well, my first choice was the death penalty - equally dark, isn't it? I chalk it up to the books I've been reading lately (although I didn't finish even half of the last fiction book I got from the library). Reading both sides of the euthanasia debate is not just taxing on the brains because of all the weighing and evaluating, but also quite saddening because some people can objectify life and death so easily as if they mean so little in comparison to the other, littler things that we experience.
Just a couple of days ago we were discussing fallacies in class. It reminded me of GP and its endless readings and spotting of fallacies. Now I have to apply the same things I used in my essays to craft a great persuasive speech. Writing an essay and a speech require the same skills, but putting a voice to the words changes the words a lot, I've learned.
Sometimes I feel a lot like a liberal arts student. If I do end up in the LSA, should I dabble in some literature or some arts? Hmmmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment