Thursday, September 16, 2010

New beginnings

Hello! (I don't know who is still keeping up with my blog since I stopped posting regularly months ago.)

Anyway, yes, I am now in the United States. I'm studying here (please, don't give me the lame "get an ang moh boyfriend" line... spare me). I've been here for 3 weeks now and just hadn't gotten around to posting a short update. I have some free time tonight (no classes tomorrow!), so I figured I should post. :)

The place I'm in is nice. It's called Ann Arbor. I walk to my classes. I eat home cooked food just about every day. So, if you're wondering, no, I am not a regular customer at Starbucks (honestly, I still don't know how to order a drink properly), I have not tried many different cuisines (I've tried Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Italian only - more to go: Mongolian, Mediterranean, Mexican, etc), and I have not seen very much of this place. I've been on the buses many times but I only know a few routes so far. I'm still learning my way around this place (I can get lost even locating a lecture hall - yes, my sense of direction is that bad even when I'm equipped with a map).

So far, I've met many nice people - from orientation, church picnic, etc. I got to know most of my Malaysian seniors. They're all very helpful. As for my housemates, they're pretty cool people and we get along well. :) Last week, when our Internet was down, we sat at the dining table and talked for a couple of hours and later at night, we had some fun with the PS2. :D We went to two events together, too, and even each got ourselves a key chain with a photo of all four of us with a tacky, winter background!

When I arrived here, it was still pretty warm because it was the end of summer. Now, the leaves have started changing colors and the trees are really pretty. The change is quite obvious because I notice more and more leaves turning orange and red every day now. It's really a pretty sight, especially with all the furry little squirrels scurrying around. :) It's getting chilly. The winds are pretty strong sometimes. They make my hair go crazy, but sometimes, I kinda like the extra volume they give my hair. :P

I'm now in my second week of classes. My classes are okay. I'm taking 12 credits this semester. I'm taking one core class (theory of interest), one elective class (intermediate microeconomics), one natural science class (animal behavior), and one mini course (dinosaurs and other failures). I know, what do the last two have to do with my major? Nothing. I'm just taking them out of interest and to fulfill my other requirements. Animal behavior class is pretty fun. We get to watch videos and discuss animals. (My discussion section meets in the museum! The classroom is a few steps away from fossils, etc!) The dinosaur class will only start mid-semester because it's a one credit course.

And, okaaaay, here's a photo of me standing in front of the Engineering Arch. The campus myth is that you will get married to the person who you kiss under this arch at midnight.

Yep, I went shopping just before this photo was taken. That there is my pair of black boots for fall. :)

No comments: