There seem to be so many, many things which I am tempted to do instead of doing productive work. Once I log in to the Net, I check both my e-mail accounts, Facebook, and Friendster accounts. Add on to that my penchant for blog-hopping, I end up surfing the Net pretty much for nothing for at least an hour. *peeved*
Fine. This will stop here.
Usually, when I want to do serious work, I tie up my hair, sit up straighter, plug in my earphones, and work to the point of near-oblivion. Maybe it's been too long since I last did that at home. Every time I come home, freedom feels so good that I can get distracted for hours even when I intend to do work.
I stumbled upon this neat article on procrastination yesterday by pure chance. I wasn't Googling procrastination, trust me! :P Anyway, I like the advice given, which is to stop thinking about the whys, but rather to start focusing on the how-tos. Thinking back, I realized that maybe it has worked for myself in the past without my conscious realization of it.
Aren't we all usually capable of churning out a list of many reasons why we need to finish that assignment or revision on time, yet we find ourselves rooted on the sofa in front of the tv or on the chair in front of the laptop? Haven't we, at some point in time, been aware of how desperately we need to clean up our room, only to put it off until we realize that dust bunnies have somehow mysteriously (or not) multiplied by more than just the tens under the beds?
So I suppose instead of repeatedly telling myself why I should be doing productive work now, perhaps I should stick to going through just the process itself now.
No comments:
Post a Comment