Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Summoning the bright, fluffy clouds


This was taken on a day when I felt so happy that I couldn't really articulate my feelings into words. It preceeded a time that still makes me smile now. Yesterday, someone asked how can you remember special days? I thought, how can anyone not remember special days? Some times are special for specific reasons. Sometimes they are good just because. Most of the times we recognize the uplifting feeling inside, but more often than not, we just take them for granted.

Just about a week ago, something dawned on me as I was talking to a friend. She mentioned feeling as though she's living for the weekend, without much regard for the weekdays. I thought for a bit after our conversation ended and realized that I wasn't far off from what she'd described. See, the thing is sometimes we get so caught up in our own petty matters that seem to take up so much time and we forget about the more important big picture. All the small stuff seem unwilling to let us step back and clear our heads to refocus. Or is that all us?

I remember happy days. I remember smiles traded, laughter shared. But sometimes the good stuff turn bad, a friend mentioned. Yes, sometimes the good stuff go bad because of a minor glitch that got blown out of proportion. Sometimes we let the petty issues disrupt our communication, throw us off balance.

Living every day while looking forward only to the end of the week is easy to do, almost like a habit. Every weekday seems the same now, blurred into a stretch of to-do lists, ticks and crosses. Task after task, the focus slowly slips away. There seems to be no time to take a breather and regroup. No time to realign intentions and actions. No time to think, no time to feel. So what does that all mean now?

Today, for a while, I trudged with an invisible cloud above my head. I felt much like Eeyore with his own cloud in my children's story book nestled in my bookshelf in my comfy, multi-colored bedroom. All because of some information that, try as I might to forget it, stuck in my head. It wasn't something I wanted to know at all, much less before a mid-term paper. It was that easy to let negativity kick in, to let go, and to say that I don't mind when, in fact, there was an internal storm brewing.

So now, I shall remember the good times. Because the good times make me happy.

No comments: