You know something is a bit off when I blog at 2.02 am. But then again, seeing as how my sleep cycle has gone a bit out of whack since this semester started (classes begin at 10 am or 12 pm for me, with the exception of one 8 am class on Thursday), maybe this shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Hmmm.
I had a refreshing start to Friday by relaxing. (Yeah, I know how dissatisfied some people must feel right now. I'm so sorry.) After lunch, I stepped into the music room to be greeted with the sight of a full-grown cockroach running around. Now, I am proud to say that I do not run away or scream at the sight of a cockroach anymore, even though I admit that I still feel a very deep sense of anger and hatred for the creature (sigh, I can't help it). I couldn't bring myself to step on the dirty creature because 1) I didn't want to have to clean its remains off the carpeted floor, 2) I didn't want my shoe to be stained with roach remains (URGH!), and 3) IT'S BIG. Yeah, how reason #3 is relevant isn't very clear to myself either. I just scared it off the low stage in front and then lost sight of it after it scurried beneath the big chair. I think it might have gone into the wastepaper basket. Double URGH.
Anyway, I had a good 2-hour practice session after that. I'm looking forward to mastering the whole 6-page piece soon. It's been so long since I played the piano very seriously (except when it comes to a few pieces that I really like) and it's been a good 3 years or so since I last performed in front of an audience. So, yeah, I've got to prepare well for my music presentation. Despite feeling as if my pinky is falling off after practicing the whole piece over and over (and making myself rather bored of the melody in time), I feel a sense of satisfaction when I complete the piece, knowing that this time was better than the last one.
I have to keep reminding myself of my piano teachers' words, that before I run, I must learn how to crawl and then walk, and also that I must sit my butt down to practice until I get it right, regardless of how long I must do it (or something to that effect; you catch my drift). Anyway, this is the product of 6 years of piano lessons and theory and aural classes. I think I've gained a greater appreciation of all that by taking up music this semester.
The evening was spent at the pasar malam where I indulged in some jagung, keropok lekor, and apple and chocolate chip cake. Dinner was Hainanese chicken rice. The rice is soooo gooood. YUM. But I was quite disappointed because there seemed to be fewer food stalls there, probably because some of them moved to the Ramadhan bazaar not too far away from the pasar malam. I noticed that even the man selling balloons (really cute ones like Spongebob and Doraemon!) wasn't there tonight.
After spending a bit less than an hour at the pasar malam, we proceeded to crash Karyn's room to eat. And then we stayed there to talk for 4 hours. Until 1 am. I AM BEYOND AMAZED at how much we talked tonight. I completely lost track of time until I caught sight of the clock that read 12.45. ARGH. I can get really absorbed in a conversation that I totally forget about the time, even though my body gets tired and I start yawning. Such is my determination to talk! But, hey, it's not all fluff between the ears kinda talk. We had a rather enlightening discussion on religion which I enjoyed. I find that I'm beginning to become more interested in more serious topics like religion and philosophy nowadays (thanks, Chia Hsin, for the insight on the stuff you learn). I really do find theories and speculations interesting especially in science (did you know that some people believe that water has feelings?) and the unknown. I guess it stemmed from a deep curiosity of the workings of the world.
Why am I talking about this now? It's 2.25 am. Off I go to sleep. All this deep talk will need to wait for another day.
Oh, hang on. Guess what I encountered when I entered the bathroom at about 1.15 am? Another full-grown cockroach! This time, it was running under the row of sinks. I sprayed generous amounts of insecticide on it before it gave up its frantic escape and fell onto its back. Yes, I kill cockroaches. And I do so with less apprehension now. Phew. (What's all this cockroach talk, you ask? This is me churning out my thoughts in the wee hours of the morning.)
Okay, lights off!
No comments:
Post a Comment