Saturday, January 30, 2010

Notes

As I am typing this, I have Slow Dancing In A Burning Room playing at a volume loud enough for me to tune out all the other sounds outside of the earphones I'd plugged in. I'm here to catch my breath for a moment.

Next week, the pace picks up. To kick it off, I have a public speaking presentation on Monday morning. (We learned that we shouldn't have any caffeinated drinks before a presentation - so now it's no Nescafe Mondays for me... I guess that's doable.) In case you're wondering why I keep having presentations, it's because I am in a public speaking class this semester. This class requires me to prepare and deliver one speech per week. I enjoy this class because it gives me valuable insight into how to be a better speaker.

Ten years ago, I could not fathom standing in front of the class to speak. Three years ago, I stood in front of hundreds of students to deliver impromptu speeches. But I must say, this class has helped me improve a lot, even though it's only been four weeks since the first class. Three years ago, I found my guts. Right now, I'm learning to better my skills and that makes me happy because this is what I've been wanting to do since secondary school. It is a kind of simple happiness that comes with effort, time, and patience.

To keep the ball rolling, there are tests along the way - Linear Algebra test on Thursday and US History I test on Friday. The first is one of my core subjects while the second is an elective that I chose because I want to know more about America's beginnings. So far, both of them have been interesting and eye-opening. I once saw a photo showing a piece of paper scribbled with matrices from top to bottom. My eyes popped and I wondered, who does these things? Well, now I know. As for US History, well, it has taught me the importance of reading abilities (and I owe a big thanks to my sister for this) and the fact that sometimes we have to rid ourselves of ignorance.

Right now, a part of me is in a semi-frenzied state putting up to-do lists and reminders on Post-Its and penciling in important notes in an organizer. At the same time, there is a part of me that feels a bit excited despite all the work that has started and is still coming. Hopefully, these two combined will give me a good push in the right direction.

Alright, back to work now!

Hope you'll have a great start to the week, everyone. :)

PS: Had an awesome dinner at the eatery that we'd never been to before. I love great dinners. :D

No comments: